Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Spring Fling with Ms Midge



What is your business?
Ms Midge

How did you come to name it that?
Although my name is Melissa, my Dad named me Midge when I was born, because I was a tiny, scrawny little thing!  It stuck and I only started being called Melissa when I moved to Melbourne in my teens.  Add the “Ms” and that’s how my business name evolved!

What do you make? 
I make quite a variety of items.  Over the past couple of years, I have made and sold a lot of little one’s clothing.  The past year has seen my business change a little, as I discovered a love and slight obsession with quilting.  I now thoroughly enjoy making and selling quilts and quilted cushions as well as little girl’s clothing.

What are your two favourite things that you make? Why?
Quilted cushions – they are reasonably quick to make and they give me the opportunity to play around with quilting techniques.
Quilts – I love it when a customer gives me a basic description of what they would like in a quilt.  For example, a colour theme.  And then they give me the thumbs up to come up with a design and layout.  It allows me to be creative!  I also love just making quilts because I want to – and then if somebody loves it enough to buy it – even better!





What is your favourite season?  Why?
I love Spring!  Living in Melbourne, we get the extremes of each season, and Spring is an inbetween season.  You still get the crisp mornings, but as you move through Spring, the warmth settles in and everything just seems brighter and happier.  I’m also more than ready to get out of my jeans and boots by then!

What’s something you’ve learnt that you wish you could go back and tell your 18 year old self?
Take you time.  Have fun.  Don’t settle for less than you deserve.

Quick 5:
What are you wearing right now?
PJ pants and a jumper

What can you hear?
The howling wind outside sounding like a cyclone!

What can you smell?
My new oven.

Last thing you ate?
Salt and Vinegar Delites

Last person you spoke to?
My kids at bedtime.

Where can we find you?
Everywhere!  
Instagram – Ms Midge   
Flickr – Ms Midge   
Twitter – Ms Midge   
Pinterest – Ms Midge………….. You get the idea!

1 comment: