Thursday, January 12, 2012

Counting my blessings!

Today my Facebook status read: 

First time in 3 years I haven't been pregnant on this date. And to think 3 years ago as we were losing that little girl we thought Natie would be an only child. Now he's not only got a brother but a sister as well. And everyday even when they are driving me crazy I give thanks for the joy that have bought into my life. Children really are a blessing xx

Three years ago I had more drama in my life then a character on Neighbours.  About the same I time I found out I was pregnant again Little N was diagnosed with a heart condition.  Just after his first birthday we took him to the Drs for conjunctivitis and the next things we knew we were seeing a cardiologist.  However according to one of the Doctors as far as heart problems go we had hit the jackpot - ours was only a minor complication in the grand scheme of things.  I remember thinking "it might be minor when you see heart problems on a daily basis but this is my child we are talking about".  Basically he had a coarctation of the aorta which meant part of the aorta was very narrow and would have to be removed.  

About the same time we were processing this we had our 12 week scan.  The baby wasn't cooperating and we had to come back a bit later on for another look and instead of hanging around for the results I opted to come back and pick them up later as I was heading out again to meet friends for coffee.  Well I never made it to coffee, instead for the second time in a short space of time I had the ground ripped out from beneath my feet - on reading the results I discovered the baby had a 50% chance of a chromosomal disorder.  A few days later we were in Brisbane waiting for a CSV - a more invasive procedure that would give us definite results.  However as soon as the technician started the scan it was obvious it wouldn't be necessary - the baby's heart had stopped beating of its own accord.

Testing revealed a chromosomal abnormality called Turners Syndrome - basically the baby was missing her other X chromosome.  That lead to a whole other barrage of testing of my chromosomal makeup but it would appear that it was just a stroke of bad luck.

Needless to say when I found out I was pregnant again a few months later I was a mess.  Waiting for that 12 weeks scan I was almost vomiting and not from morning sickness.  Even after the "low risk" result I couldn't relax.  Waiting for the amnio and then those result were both their own forms of torture and even finding out we had a genetically healthy little boy on the way didn't relieve all of the worry as there was still the possibility there would be a problem with his heart too.  This time however our misfortune took a different turn and Big N was deployed overseas when I was 7 months pregnant and it would be 5 months, and Master Q would be 3 months old, before we saw him again. 

Which is probably why I was pregnant again with Little Miss E before Master Q was 6 months old...

2 comments:

  1. wow, what a journey you have had bringing those beautiful children into this world. Thank you for sharing this, it made me pause and feel (again), eternally grateful for the little blessing asleep in her cot right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew snippets of this Holly but I don't think I had really pieced it all together until now. Thank you so much for sharing. You really have been through a lot and you have much to be grateful for.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete