Saturday, October 15, 2011

Life is a garden!

I had a bit of a rough week.  Not as rough as it could have been and no where near as rough as that endured by others but in the land of H it was stormy.  Little  Miss E must be teething as my good sleeper has joined her brothers in their perpetual game of tag, where they take turns to interrupt my sleep. And as Big N was MIA with the crazy demands of his job it meant our usual counter game of tag (where we take it in turns to have our sleep interrupted) wasn't an option. 

Sleep deprivation is considered a form of torture and one my children are becoming quite the experts in its application.  So after nearly a week of very broken sleep I was running on empty and then a trip to the dentist completely drained me.  Master Q had fallen and hit his tooth a few months ago and had visited the dentist soon after as he had  developed  a lump on his gum.  I was advised to keep an eye on it - which I did and then on Wednesday noticed that it was swollen and angry looking - so back we went on Thursday,  We were on time but the dentist wasn't and my children were FERAL in the waiting room so I was already stressed by the time we made it in to the examination.  

Turns out its an abcess and the tooth will need to be removed and because he is so little it will need to be done under a general anethestic. I managed to keep myself together and get the kids strapped back in the car but then I just sat there and cried and cried and cried!

But it wasn't over yet.  Yesterday Little N had an appointment with a paeditrician as a result of his kindy being concerned about his behaviour.  Nothing much actually came of that appointment except a list of other people to see and assessments to get, which are now added to my every growing to-do list!  

And speaking of growing I am now back to where I was intending this post to be....

We converted the sandbox into a veggie garden this morning.  Its nothing fancy and not very big but hopefully in a few months we will be eating our own tomatoes and beetroot and making pesto with fresh basil.  I am still tired but there is something about getting my hands dirty in the garden that seems to recharge my soul.  I have once again found a suuply of the patience that my kids demand in abundance and my to-do list no longer seems an insumountable task.

I once read a plaque in a garden that said 
Man's first home was a garden so let all that pass through here feel at peace and rest for a while 
Its nothing fancy but here is where I found my peace this morning 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like this has not been a good week for you at all .... hope the coming one is much better. My 25y/o crushed his finger at work this week and I thought that being a stressed out mum finished when they were little until then. Thankfully all is better now. I can remember having one of those crying moments when my kids were little and at the dr. my eldest bit the youngest one of the fingers. I was so frazzled after nights of no sleep with a screaming baby I did exactly what you did. Nice garden by the way ... you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can so relate. We've had the hell of teething this week too. I totally ended up at my brother's house as I was having a complete 'not coping' moment. And I kept feeling so bad because I thought that I SHOULD be coping. After all it's only teething and it's not like every other Mother in the history of the world hasn't coped with it. So I lost some sleep. And my normally perfect baby had 3 days (out of 8 months) that were barely manageable....insert giant sigh here. Anyway, what Im trying to say is hopefully there is a little solitude in knowing that you're not the only one to feel this way. And hopefully you get some good advice for Little N, I know it can be a minefield out there. PS nice work on the garden :) x

    ReplyDelete