Monday, October 3, 2011

Habit or Addiction?

I once heard or read somewhere that it take 21 days for something to become a habit - so with 3 days down the question is will I make it through another 18 and form a habit?  At this stage I am thinking it just might.  I am sure its the chance to win something that is drawing people in but the comments that are appearing on other posts are reassuring that I am doing something right! 

And now I am wondering what the difference is between a habit and an addiction....


hmmm...  brb

And now I know -  according to the free dictionary

  A habit is recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition

whereas addiction is the condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something

not much between them other then a matter of opinion it seems. 

I am currently trying to break my Facebook habit, or as Big N would call it my Facebook addiction.  I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking Facebook exists in its own time continuim that allows it to suck oodles of time out of your day.  Much as I would just like to deactivate the reality of it is most of my business comes through Facebook so instead I am setting myself a limit - I am going to attempt to only be socially "online" for 15 minutes, 3 times a day.  Of course I have given this blog and shopping (and researching said purchases) an exemption from that - if you stick around long enough you will soon realise just how much I loooove online shopping (I will have to emphatically label my online shopping habit an addiction!)


So someone remind me in 21 days (which would be the October 24th) to update you on if I have managed to curb my Facebook addiction! 

So I just scrolled back up to the start of this post and realised that where I ended up wasn't where I was intending when I began.  Opps! 

But on the plus side I have now posted for public accountability my new Facebook regime and I invite you to reassess your own online habits (or addictions as the case maybe).  And now I must leave you... there is shopping to be done!

Happy Monday everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha.. I spend waaaay too much time on Facebook too. Absolutely shocking. Obsessed with knowing what everyone else is doing. Funny thing is, I don't actually care. It's mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on there all the time too, but hey, I have an 8 month old and some days this is the closest I get to adult conversation! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy my problem is I end up getting nothing done because I am always checking FB :(

    Kate they are days when I find myself talking back to the presenters on tv soni totally understand where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just passing through via blogtober and I'm going to have to come back to see how your facebook habit gets on. In my house facebook is responsible for many burnt dinners and I could definately do with help with my habit.
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete