Sunday, October 16, 2011

Action Plans ahoy!

Last Sunday I cheated on my post and instead of writing anything myself I cheated and fell back on the genius of Dr. Suess to fill my post requirements for the day.

But I have been thinking more about the quote I chose

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
Its from The Places You'll Go which is a favourite of mine but Little N prefers the nonsense of Fox In Socks (can anyone actually read that out loud without stumbling over the words?) and The Cat in The Hat Comes Back.  However I am hoping that as he grows he will begin to take on the messages within it and believe in himself and dream as big for himself as I dream for him (and Master Q and Little Miss E).

I want my children to believe that they can do whatever they set their minds to but I also want them to understand the meaning of hard work and the intrinsic rewards of doing good deeds.  I understand that I need to live the life I want them to live so that I can show them how its done.  But this isn't always as easy as I want it to be and I stumble and I fall but I pick myself up and keep on trying.  Which is something else I want them to understand - that they need to keep trying, that yes you may fail but if you didn't even try then you also failed.

And once again I've gone off on a total tangent from where I intended to go when I started this post.  Getting back on course now....

I did want to ask who gives themself an action plan for the week?  A goal they want to acheive, a job they need to complete? Who thinks about the direction they are steering themselves in?  I find that if I write a list I get a lot more done but I don't do it often enough.

So in the interest of public accountability this week I will:
  • finish the shirt I started making for myself a month ago
  • finish and post the presents for P, T & N
  • email iPad cover design to K
  • get my bookwork up to date
  • begin tiding up the long neglected Puppy Dogs Tails website
  • make Christmas stockings for my children
It may only be a little list but remember I have 3 children, we have swimming lessons, kindy drop offs, playgroups, and my bookwork hasn't been done since tax time!

What will you acheive this week?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to achieve something this week and to write a list. I need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo, I just did a little 'excited dance' you would have loved it...it has tiny actions! I also wont feel bad if it takes a little longer so no pressure ;) Oh, and thanks for the book work reminder...I must ring and see where my bass statement is...grrr PS My mother is making my daughter's Christmas Stocking (it's her first Christmas!)and I asked her to make it a little smaller than the ones we had as kids...it appears I'm also a 'cheap' mother!

    ReplyDelete