Friday, September 9, 2011

A tribute to my virtual sisters...

I read this on a friend's Facebook status....


──────────¸,o¤°``°¤o,¸──────────
──────────(....◕¸¸◕....)──────────
┼┼┼┼─────oOO—`*´—OOo────┼┼┼┼┼
Someone asked me how I can love Friends who I've never seen!
I said.... I have never seen the wind, but I can feel it,
I have never hugged you but I feel your love,
I have never meet you but I always have your support!
Knowing you are there for me as I am here for you!
That's why I love you without seeing you!
Hugs & Kisses to my "Friends" on facebook! xoxoxo

and it certainly rang true for me.

A bit less then a year ago I was invited to join a Facebook group for crafters by a friend of mine who was a bit of a Facebook junkie, playing every game going, accepting friend requests from all and sundry, joining groups left right and centre, updating her status with minute details.  So I left the invite sitting there for a while and then finally I joined just to see what it was all about.

Little did I know then that that was a life-shifting decision.  In the time I have been a member of the group in questions I have learnt so much, bought so much and made some great friends.

The only pre-requisite for joining the group initally was a love of craft but the group has become much more then a virtual stitch and bitch.  With the encouragement and support and from been able to tap into such a varied knowledge base my sewing has come forth in leaps and bounds,  I am now familiar with designers and stockists I have never heard of, I can make my own bias binding, I discovered a whole other collection of feet for my sewing machine!  Who needs google when you have a group like this and between us we will have a go at solving any problem put forth,  we shop for each with things (fabric usually) been sent from one member to another, we remind each other to take care of ourselves, we support each other and importantly we inspire each other. 

Thats not to say its all roses all of the time in our little corner of Facebook, there have been falling outs, there are personality differences and there are disagreements of opinion.  But there is also a connection which began with a love of craft but grew to something more  and we have created our own little "family" of sewing sisters.  Together we have woven a net of love and support that stretched across the country along the virtual highway.


You can find out more about these wonderful woman and what they create by visiting The Sewing Sisterhood blog.  Hopefully you will find something there to inspire you for these woman are truly an inspiration to me. 



2 comments: